“TheCeļotājs”
"Latvia" Former Soviet Union Military Bases
 
The Old FPS Russia,
the Federal Border Service 
 
    
  FPS Russia, the Federal Border
            Service Emblem
 
FPS Russia, the Federal Border Service "Russian: Федеральная пограничная служба, Federal'naya Pogranichnaya Sluzhba", active from 30 December 1994 to 30 June 2003, was headed by a single centralized system, which included:
  • border control;
  • foreign intelligence corps;
  • operational entities engaged in intelligence, counter, operational investigative activities, to ensure its own security system;
  • border guards and other organs of the Border Service, provided by federal law;
  • FPS Russia border troops;
  • military educational institutions, vocational education,
  • enterprises, institutions and organizations in Russia under the FPS "hereinafter referred to authorities and troops as FPS Russia", according to federal law
Lineup
 
Changes in the regional structure of the Border Service, instead of ten regional border for the new scheme includes regional offices of the border in the "Federal Districts" and 30 border offices. Includes the Maritime Border Guard.
 
Regional Border Districts:
  • Regional Border Directorate of the Central Federal District
  • Regional Border Management for the Southern Federal District
  • Regional Border Directorate of the Ural Federal District
  • Regional Border Directorate of the Volga Federal District
  • Regional Border Directorate for the Siberian Federal District
  • North West Regional Border Management
  • Arctic regional border management on
  • Regional Border Directorate for the Far Eastern Federal District
  • The military educational institutions, vocational education:
As adopted by presidential decree dated 23 April 2001, № 457
  • Border Academy of Russia's FSB;
  • Military Medical Institute, the Border Service of Russia's FSB in the Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy;
  • Golitsynsky Military Institute of the Border Service;
  • Kaliningrad Military Institute of the Border Service;
  • Kurgan Military Institute of the Border Service;
  • Moscow Military Institute of the Border Service;
  • Khabarovsk Military Institute, the Border Service;
  • The First Cadet Corps of the Border Service.
Enterprises, institutions and organizations which are subordinate to the Border Service:
  • medical and health institutions of the Border Service;
  • Repair Plant;
  • parts logistics, technical and other support.
Border Service Timeline
 
The border and internal troops "Guard" VCHK-OGPU-NKVD-USSR Ministry of Internal Affairs
  • 29 September 1918 - The headquarters of the hull forces "internal security" VCHK
  • 1 April 1921 - The Office of troops VCHK-OGPU
  • 1 December, 1922 - The headquarters of the troops OGPU
  • 3 October 1923 - Inspektsiya troops GPU - OGPU
  • 6 November 1926 - The Directorate of Border Guard Troops and OGPU
  • 10 July 1934 - General Directorate of Border and internal security "GUPVO" Soviet NKVD
  • 29 September, 1938 - General Directorate of Border and Interior Troops "GUPVV" Soviet NKVD
From 1938 to 1957:
  • The Directorate of Border Troops "GUPV"
  • The Directorate of troops for the protection of railway facilities
  • The Directorate of troops for the protection of critical business industry
  • The Directorate escort troops "GUKV"
  • General Directorate of Military Supplies "GUVS"
  • The main military construction management
  • 9 June 1956 - GUPVV USSR Ministry of Internal Affairs
  • 2 April 1957 - GUPVV USSR Ministry of Internal Affairs was disbanded in connection with the transfer of border troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs to the Soviet KGB when the Soviet Union SM
The Border Troops "Guard":
  • 28 May, 1918 - Border Guard when Narkomate Finance "later - in the military and Narkomate Foreign Trade"
  • 24 November 1920 - features in the GS VCHK-GPU, then to the CGB GPU and the headquarters of a frontier corps "Border Division" headquarters troops OGPU
  • 28 July 1923 - Department of Border Guard GPU, OGPU
  • 6 November 1926 - The Directorate of Border Guard Troops and OGPU
  • 10 July 1934 - Soviet NKVD GUPVO
  • 29 September, 1938 - Soviet NKVD GUPVV
  • 8 March 1939 - Soviet NKVD GUPV
  • 17 October, 1949 - GUPV MGB USSR
  • 14 March 1953 - GUPV USSR Ministry of Internal Affairs
  • 9 Jun, 1956 - based GUPV, GUVKO and MAT USSR Ministry of Internal Affairs was organized by the USSR Ministry of Internal Affairs GUPVV
  • 2 April 1957 - GUPV KGB when the Soviet Union SM
  • 5 July 1978 - GUPV KGB
  • In December 1991 - after the reorganization of KGB, the General Directorate of Border Troops were abolished and formed the Committee for the Protection of the State border of the Soviet Union with the Joint Command of the border forces led by was assigned to the post of chairman of the Committee - Chief of Soviet border troops.
  • In 1992 - a Border troops of the Russian Federation, which have been subordinated to the Ministry of Security.
  • In 1993 - Federal Border Service - General Command of Border Troops of Russian Federation with the status of federal ministries.
  • In 1994 - renamed the Federal Border Service "FPS Russia".
  • 4 May, 2002 - FPS Russia renamed the Border Service of the Russian Federation, which consists of specially authorized federal executive body for the Border Service "FPS Russia", troops and other organizations.
  • 11 March, 2003 - Vladimir Putin abolished the function of FPS conveyed to the FSB. FPS Russia renamed PS Russia's FSB
Border Security Zone of Russia
 
The Border Security Zone in Russia is the designation of a strip of land "usually, though not always, along a Russian state border" where economic activity and access are restricted without permission of the FSB. In order to visit the zone, a permit issued by the local FSB department is required. The restricted access zone "of 7.5km. width generally, but e.g. running as much as 90km deep along the Estonian border" was established in the Soviet Union in 1934, and later
expanded, at times including vast territories. In 1935–1936 in order to secure the western border of the Soviet Union many nationalities considered unreliable "Poles, Germans, Ingrian Finns, Estonians, Latvians" were forcibly transferred
from the zone by forces of NKVD.
 
During the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, the state borders changed dramatically but the zone was not corrected accordingly and hence effectively ceased to exist. In 1993 the Law on the State Border was adopted and reestablished a border strip with restricted access, which should not exceed 5km "although in fact it became much wider in some places". In 2004 the law was amended, the 5km restriction was excluded, and FSB was legally authorized to draw the zone’s limits on its own without coordination with local authorities. In 2006 FSB Director Nikolay Patrushev and his deputy Sergei Smirnov issued decrees delimiting the zone, which now expanded much and included many large settlements, important transport routes and resort areas, especially in the Republic of Karelia, Leningrad Oblast and Primorsky Krai. In 2007, pressured by the public, FSB curtailed the zone in some places.
 
 
Home
 
 
 
 
Revised: 02/10/2013 – 13:45:25